Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of a police report?
There are times when a police report may not be released. If a case is still under investigation (or other legal reasons) your request
may be denied. Some reports contain confidential information that cannot be released. Reports may be released either by mail or in
person during business hours. Click here for the Report Request Form (Form will download to your computer).

How do I get fingerprinted?
The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Department has a Live Scan fingerprint station for the purposes of pre-employment. Anyone being
fingerprinted will need to bring identification and a completed "Request for Live Scan Service" form, obtained from the employing
agency. You may also have your fingerprints produced on a fingerprint card (hard copy), to be mailed to the necessary agency and the
Etna Police Department does this at no charge.

How can I arrange to go on a "ride-along" with a police officer?
The Etna Police Department Ride-Along Program allows citizens to become familiar with the Department. Interested individuals are
permitted to participate after completion of an application/waiver and approval by the Department. 

I need a police case number. How do I get one?
Police case numbers are issued when a police report is made.  Call dispatch at (530) 841-2900 or the office at (530) 467-3400. You
can also make a report in person at the police department.  If you did not get the information you need at the time of the report, call
(530) 467-3400.

I lost my copy of a "fix-it" ticket. How do I get another copy?
You will need to contact the Siskiyou County Court Traffic Division at (530) 842-8189.

How do I register a gun?
The police department does not register firearms.  Private gun dealers will complete the necessary state forms for you for a fee.

My car was towed. How do I find out where it is, and how do I get it back?
To get it back, the registered owner needs to obtain a vehicle release at the police department.  If the registered owner does not have a
valid driver’s license, he/she must bring someone with them who does.  Everything must be current with the Department of Motor
Vehicles.  A fee in the amount of $100.00 must be paid to the police department.  Additional fees at the tow yard may apply. Vehicle
releases are only processed during normal business hours.

How can I find out if someone has a warrant?
To find out if you have a warrant, come into the police station in person and identify yourself.  If you have a warrant, you may be taken
into custody, or you may be cited & released. Warrant information is not given by phone. To find out if someone else has a warrant,
call the court you believe has jurisdiction where the crime occurred.

How can I find out if someone is in jail?
Contact the Siskiyou County Jail at (530) 842-8157, or log on to their website.

How do I find out the status of my case?
Call and leave message for the officer/investigator assigned to your case. Have your case number available.

My son/daughter was arrested. Can I get a copy of the report?
If your child was over 18 at the time of the incident, you have no right receive any information.  Parents of a juvenile defendant can
usually obtain a copy of the report at the police station.
I reported a crime, and the person responsible wasn't ever charged. Why?
The District Attorney decides whether or not to file a complaint. If your case was not filed, contact the District Attorney’s Office at (530)

Can I find out if someone has a restraining order against them?
The court that has jurisdiction of the restraining order may release information to you. EPD will not release that information.

Someone violated a restraining order, but wasn't arrested. Why?
The decision to file charges against someone is made by the District Attorney, not the police department. If you have a question about
a case, contact the involved officer.

How can I find out the results of my blood alcohol test?
Your attorney will receive a copy of your arrest report when you appear in court for arraignment. EPD does not provide this information
to you.

How do I get my juvenile record sealed?
Contact the Siskiyou County Superior Court Juvenile Division.

Can my employer get a copy of my criminal history?
It depends.  Most government and state agencies can receive this information on prospective employees. Private sector employers will
not be able to obtain your record from the police department.

Does EPD offer child car seat inspections?
No. EPD no longer offers this service. Please contact the nearest CHP office for more information.

How can I get a restraining order?
The best way is to contact an attorney. However, you may obtain a packet at the County Courthouse and file for a restraining order
yourself. If you are a victim of domestic violence, Shasta Women's Refuge can help you. Once your restraining order has been issued,
bring a copy of the order and the proof of service to the police department. Keep a copy for yourself; it shows the expiration date. A
report on a restraining order violation cannot be made without that copy and the proof of service on file.